Friday, August 6, 2010

It's almost the end

My first trip to DC has finally come to a conclusion. My bags are packed and I'm ready to head home tomorrow afternoon. While I'm very ready to be at home again, I'm going to miss the excitement of Washington and how pedestrian friendly it is. Living less than half a mile from the Lincoln Memorial has it's perks. There were many nights I would walk down there with some friends and we would just sit on the steps and take in the sights around us. Things like that are what I'll miss the most, the historical significance of the surroundings I found myself in on a daily basis.

The Hearst bureau took all the interns out to a nice lunch at the National Press Club as a farewell event. They told us they had been genuinely impressed by the work we have done this summer and they are sorry to see us go. They told us to stay in touch and to not be afraid to call for references when we start applying for jobs. It can't hurt to have the former president of the National Press Club (Rick Dunham) and the former bureau chief of the AP Washington bureau (Chuck Lewis) in your corner. I concluded my day with a very appropriate event, a reception at the White House celebrating soon-to-be Justice Kagan's confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States. The two people I spent the most time covering this summer were Elena Kagan and President Obama so it was fitting to end the summer with an event where they were both present. I haven't had time to look at my pictures from the event yet since I came home to pack everything up, but once I get home and settled I will put some up along with my final post.

Tomorrow will be a long day of traveling that will start all too early so for now I'm headed to bed. Thanks very much to everyone who has been reading my blog. I hope you have enjoyed following my adventures this summer. I know I've had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment